Monday 9 April 2012

No Gain Without Pain







I looked out of the conservatory window this morning and was greeted with what to expect on a English bank holiday from the weather,squally rain and dull overcast skies.  I wanted to try and see and photograph the male Goosander that has been around for a few days on the cold harbour lagoons at Reculver.Its a very exposed location and the dilemma was did I want to see the bird and risk a soaking. Time for my hobby is precious at the moment with me starting a new job so with my flask made and a bag of mini chocolate eggs I set off via the fisherman's car park by the river Wantsum where I  met Steve Ashton. We endured the weather seeing hardly anything of note let alone photograph and were soon on our way back as there was no sign of the Goosander,  typical of my luck,  maybe I should get out more.  We did see a few Thrushes,  Meadow Pipits and Shoveler Duck for our troubles. So a little wet and with Mike Gould who also had braved the elements we decided a visit to the feast hide at Grove was our best option where we could at least get out of the wet and have a warm cup of tea.  On arriving at the feast hide we did wonder if we should have stayed at home as there was nothing much on show,  a pair of Marsh Harrier,  Coots and a single Mute Swan was about it.  We were aware that there were a few Garganey further up the track at harrison's hide so we walked up as we were already wet for a look,  here we spent the most productive hour or so of the morning. We soon found two male and a female Garganey showing well about half way out,  we watched them with a pair of Gadwall, Teal,  three Snipe,  a few Mallards and two Egret,  all going about their business.  I got my camera out of the bag, wishful thinking perhaps but just in case anything came close,  then to our surprise another two male Garganey dropped in and allowed a few shots. Strangely just after they arrived Mike picked up two Little Ringed Plover,they landed in font of us as well along  with a scruffy Dunlin . We fired off the cameras and it was hope for the best in by now really poor conditions with decreasing light.  .A small group of Shelduck circled a few times and a Marsh Harrier Quartered.  The Garganey up and moved and we soon followed agreeing it was the right decision to visit Grove and not give in to the weather.

2 comments:

Mike H said...

Not a bad day after all Tim, some great shots there despite the conditions. I believe there is a saying that you make your own luck.

PasiĆ³n por las aves said...

Greats captures Tim.